Fire roasted tomatillos and cherry tomatoes pair beautifully with spicy jalapeno, onion, and garlic in this non-traditional salsa verde. A little sweet, a little tangy, a little spicy – all delicious.
- 3 pounds tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 large jalapeno peppers
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 head of garlic, separated into cloves and peeled
- large handful of cilantro, stems and leaves
- juice of 1 lime
- kosher salt, to thaste
- Place an oven rack a few inches below the broiler.
- Set the broiler to high.
- Place the tomatillos, cherry tomatoes, jalapenos, onion wedges, and garlic on a large roasting pan.
- Broil for 6-7 minutes, until tomatillos and onions start to blacken. Flip ingredients over and broil an additional 6-7 minutes, until everything is soft and charred. If your broiler heats unevenly, slide the pan from one side of the oven to the other halfway through cooking time for each side of the vegetables.
- Allow the vegetables to sit on the roasting pan until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the seeds from the jalapenos (leave in for extra spicy salsa!).
- Place the vegetables into a food processor or blender, pouring in the accumulated juices on the sheet pan. Puree until small chunks remain. Add in the cilantro, lime juice, and a pinch of salt, and pulse to combine. Taste and add more salt if necessary.