You only need 6 total ingredients and 10 minutes to make this Mexican Cheese Sauce! So easy, fast and delicious and great on so many things. It will take your Mexican food up a notch!
- 3/4 cup raw cashews (108 g, soaked overnight in water if you don't have a high-powered blender)
- 3/4 cup salsa (I used Trader Joes medium heat, this makes it spicy, if you don't want it too spicy, use a mild salsa)
- 3/4 cup water
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast (36 g, I use this brand , which is milder/better flavor & non-fortified, no nasty vitamin taste)
- 2-3 teaspoons ground cumin (If you are unsure, start out with 2, blend and taste. I used the FULL 3 teaspoons and absolutely loved the smoky taste, but start with less if you like)
- 1/2 teaspoon + 1/16 teaspoon fine sea salt (weird amount, but what I found to be just right)
- Note: I tested two versions. This one with cashews and another with tahini. If you are allergic to cashews, then you can make this with tahini! All the ingredients remain the same except instead of cashews, use 6-8 tablespoons smooth tahini, to taste. I preferred the cashew version, which is why it's posted, but the tahini is still good. Just please keep in mind that it will have a tahini flavor, but is masked pretty well with the salsa, but it's not quite as smooth as the cashews either. So, only use the tahini if allergic to cashews.
- First, you will need to soak your cashews if you don't have a high-powered blender like a Vitamix. Soak the cashews in a bowl filled with water overnight or 8 hours, drain and rinse and proceed.
- Add everything to your blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Taste and add any more salt if desired. I found the amount to be just perfect, based on the acidity that came from my salsa, but you may need to adjust.
- Get full recipe==>>thevegan8.com